Sunday, January 1, 2012
Reflections on 2011
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
This year was filled with lots of new experiences including: Being able to finish out an uneventful, low risk pregnancy, giving birth via C-Section to my son Jack, becoming a parent for the first time and experiencing all of the new things that being a mommy brings, took a leave of absence from my job to become a mommy, traveled to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas and St. John) and finishing up our basement remodel.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I usually don't make New Year's resolutions because I believe you can set your mind to do something and achieve it anytime of the year. My goal for this year will be to keep up with my blog and start Jack's baby album and keep it up to date!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
So many people gave birth this past year! In January, Keith and Keegan Scelia welcomed their first son, Troy Joseph on January 20th, and Erik and Melissa Saucier welcomed their second daughter, Natalie Mae on the 24th. In February, Joe and I welcomed our first son, Jack Joseph into the world on the 24th. On the first of June, my sister welcomed my precious niece, Makena Lyn. On October 5th, my dear friend Krista and her Husband Phong welcomed Jett Si Ho, their first son. (I'm also going to give a shout out to our friends Sean and Pam, who welcomed Dylan Patrick Keon on December 7, 2010!)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Great Aunt Beebe (Mary Hoag) passed away this fall. She was my Grandpa Barnes' sister. I only met her once when I was about 2, but she always sent my sister and me Christmas cards and presents and wrote to us every year to share about her year in Fairport, NY. Even though I don't remember meeting her at all, she has a special place in my heart, and I hope I can model in her footsteps and always remember family and friends near and far, no matter how often I see them!
5. What countries did you visit?
Technically, we didn't visit any new countries, but we did travel down to the US virgin islands to St. Thomas for Amy Shaker's wedding. It was my first time in the Caribbean!
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
I would like to have a little more "me time" in 2012. I don't need much, but an hour here or there during the week would be ideal! I would also like to add "Date Night" into our schedule so Joe and I can spend a little time one on one. (This will require us to find a babysitter we can trust, so it might not happen this year... maybe we can have "Date Night In"?)
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
2-24-11 The day when we became parents for the first time. I can't explain the joy that Jack has brought into our lives. He is truly a blessing from God!
4-6-11 The day Jack met my dad and Sandy for the first time. My dad was so proud of my little man, even if he was only 6 weeks old! The look of joy on my dad's face was priceless, something I will remember forever.
6-1-11 The day when my sister had my niece, Makena. It has been so nice to be able to share the experience of motherhood together, complete with the ups and downs.
8-14-11 Jack's first flight to visit my family for the first time. He was a great little traveler! This was also the day that Jack and Makena met for the first time. It was precious! We also had the Barnes Family Reunion the week we were there where I got to see so many of my family members that live near and far. Aunt Annie and Uncle Tom traveled to Portland from Sebastapol, CA, my cousin Ben and his wife Thea traveled with their son Isaac (and new baby who arrives in 2012) from Santa Cruz, CA, my Aunt Becky traveled down from Burlington, WA, and my cousin Austin flew to the Northwest from where he was stationed in the Air Force. My cousin Dylan lives in Portland, so I got to see him as well. We missed having my cousins Erin and Amanda at the reunion. Erin was out of town in CA, and Amanda was hoping to be able to come down, but it didn't work out in her schedule. We got together with the Tesdals, the Walbergs, my mom's soul sisters and Jim as well as good friends too! It was a whirlwind of a trip, but so much fun!
8-28-11 We survived our first hurricane in our house. (It was my first hurricane ever!) Hurricane Irene arrived and most of the state lost power for up to a week. We got extremely lucky, and didn't lose power at all. There was so much devastation on the shoreline of CT, and lots of flooding in towns across the state.
10-14-11 Jack got his first tooth!
10-31-11 Halloween was cancelled across CT due to the major power outages across the state. Jack and I spent his first Halloween without Daddy at Mericia's and Virgilio's house. Halloween was rescheduled for the following weekend in most towns, while some decided to skip it all together.
11-14-11 We celebrated Amy and Ricky's wedding in St. Thomas. It was Jack's first time experiencing the ocean and the beach/sand and he loved it! He even took a shower for the first time because there were no bathtubs in our condo and the sink water didn't get warm enough for a bath. Not surprising, he LOVED it!
12-25-11 Celebrating Jack's first Christmas. He was very excited (mostly for the tissue and wrapping paper). Being able to be see the joy in his face when he saw Christmas lights for the first time, our Christmas tree, and the stockings hanging from the mantle are memories I will cherish forever.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Giving birth to Jack was by far my biggest achievement.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not really sure I can think of any right now... that's a good thing right?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was pretty healthy in 2011. I guess the only "injury" which wasn't really an injury, was recovering from my C-Section in February after having Jack. Surprisingly, my recovery was pretty easy compared to what I was expecting!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
We bought a lot of things this year related to Jack that I'm so thankful for. I think the best thing though has got to be the sling backpack I got at Eddie Bauer. It's small enough that it can work like a purse, but it's got so much room for Jack's things that he needs for a short trip out and also room for my own things. I use it everyday and I love it! (I went back to function over fashion for sure!)
12. Who's behavior merited celebration?
I definitely have to give a shout out to my friends for being so helpful over the past year. Whether it has been for advice, a shoulder to cry on or just to hang out, I know I couldn't have made it through my first year of motherhood without them! It was also very exciting to be able to share the experiences of being a first time mom with so many of them!
13. Who's behavior made you appalled or depressed?
I don't want to go into much detail here, but I will say that after this year, I value people in my life that are honest, selfless and care for others. My time is much more limited now, and I want to fill it with people who truly matter to me!
14. Where did most of your money go?
This year, most of our money went towards preparing for a baby, having the baby, and then caring for the baby. Whoever said that "kids aren't cheap" is right on the money!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I know this seems redundant, but I was most excited for having Jack join our family and being a Mommy for the first time. Once I became a Mommy, all of my priorities changed and I live to be the best Mommy I can be for my little man. He is my world!
16. What songs will always remind you of 2011?
Rolling in the Deep by Adele, Forget You by Cee Lo Green, Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars and You Are My Sunshine (for my baby Jack).
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? thinner
c) richer or poorer? poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I would have kept up with my blog more since I have a lot of catch up to do! I also wish I would have started Jack's baby album because it is easier to maintain something as you go rather than go back and try to remember all of the special things. I'm very happy I took so many notes!
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
This will probably be my answer every year, but I wish I would worry less. In the end, it doesn't make anything better or change the outcome any. I need to try to internalize a quote my friend Krista gave to me in college, "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.” This is very true!
20. How did you spend Christmas?
This year we spent Christmas in MA with Joe's family. Christmas eve was spent at his mom's house with his Aunts and cousins. Jack opened up his presents from Aunt Mary Jo and Aunt Maria. He got some cute outfits/jammies and a few toys. A yellow giraffe with push buttons that play music, a blue tv that you can wind up and watch it flash, and a top where you can push and it makes music. He loved the toys! Christmas morning we had a relaxing morning eating breakfast and getting ready to go to Mary Jo's for the Christmas meal. Before we went, we opened presents. Jack was pretty overwhelmed with all of the wrapping and tissue paper. He would open up one present and want to play with that one, not open another one. He got a Poppity Pop Dino from Mommy and Daddy, LOTS of outfits, a construction car, a school house and snowsuits from Avo and Avo, and a Fozzie Bear from Santa. Then we went over to Mary Jo's for the traditional Portuguese dinner. Jack tried real turkey (not pureed) for the first time and loved it! He also liked the butternut squash casserole that Mary Jo makes just for Joe. Brian and Lindsey got Jack a Teddy Bear that has a stethoscope and thermometer and a train with balls that pop. Fern gave Jack a truck that has beads that move. Even though we couldn't spend Christmas with my family, they still sent packages for Jack. From Grandma Sandy and Grandpa Steve he got a photo of them on their new John Deere Tractor, a John Deere tractor toy with animals that sing, a John Deere onsie, a green pushcar tractor, a swimsuit with top, stack and roll cups, a farm puzzle, and stacking and nesting blocks. From Auntie Corey, Uncle Tommy and Makena he got some books and a cute blue plush monkey. From Grandpa Jon and Kathi he got some adorable outfits and a handmade lap blanket that matches his big airplane blanket. All in all, Jack got spoiled this Christmas!
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I did! I fell in love with being a Mommy, fell in love with my little Jack, and found little ways to fall in love with Joe all over again watching him be a Daddy and caring for me after having the baby. I hope I never stop falling in love!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Modern Family, So You Think You Can Dance, Parenthood, Revenge and Bachelor/Bachelorette. (I also watch lots of other shows too, but these are my favorite!)
23. Do you dislike anyone now that you didn’t dislike this time last year?
No.
24. What was the best book you read?
Well, let's be honest. I didn't get to read many books this year for fun. The most helpful book was Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. Out of the two books that I actually read for fun: Private by James Patterson and Swimsuit by James Patterson, I liked Swimsuit the best.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That Baby CD. Not only is this an AWESOME collection of music, but it is sung by Stephanie Schneiderman, one of my favorite local Portland artists! The thing I love most about it, is Jack loves it. The first song is his favorite, and when he is crying and I sing it for him, he calms right down! This was also a lifesaver in St. Thomas.
26. What did you want and get?
A new vacuum. For the past couple of years, our vacuum has been going downhill suction wise and I hated vacuuming because I had to work twice as hard to feel like the floor was clean. During the Black Friday deals Joe found a Dyson for a great price. It's a mini Dyson so it is nice and light and easy to move around. It also has a ball, but more importantly, the suction is awesome! It couldn't have come at a better time either, because now that Jack is crawling around the floor, he will put anything in his mouth that he comes across. I find I vacuum almost everyday now!
27. What did you want and not get?
I really wanted an i phone, but because of my contract with Verizon, I couldn't get one. (Well I could have gotten one, but I would have to pay retail price for it. I didn't think paying $800 for a phone was in our budget!) I plan on getting one in June when I can use my upgrade. Someday I will have a Smart Phone!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I would have to say that Something Borrowed with Kate Hudson was my favorite movie that I saw this year. Lately, I feel like the movies I watch are mediocre at best so this one was a stand out one for me. Hopefully in 2012 there will be more movies that are good!
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
This year I turned 33. I don't think I did much of anything this year, because nothing is ringing a bell as to what I did! I do remember that Joe got me a pretty charm with Jack's birthstone (Amethyst) for my Pandora charm bracelet. I love it!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Probably being able to help my sister during the birth of my niece, Makena. Because I was so far away (she lives in OR) and had a newborn, it really wasn't feasible for me to be there with her. I did talk with her several times and give her a pep talk before her emergency C-Section, but I really wish I could have been there for the birth.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I went from being very fashionable, to being very comfortable. I used to be able to wear nice earrings and necklaces, nice shoes, and nice clothes. Now my outfit is planned by answering these two questions: "Can I nurse Jack while wearing this?" and "Will I mind if I get spit up/drool/food all over this?" If the answer is no to either question, then I choose something else. Usually I go for a cotton shirt and yoga pants. If you're really lucky I'll dress up for you and put on a pair of jeans! Hopefully as Jack gets older, my fashion concept will return!
32. What kept you sane?
Play dates with my mommy friends and my conversations with my sister.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
These days, I don't really pay much attention to celebrities. I do however get addicted to the Bachelor, and rest assured that if there is a story in People magazine about the Bachelor and or Bachelorette, it will be sitting on my coffee table!
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I don't usually get stirred up about anything unless it's about education, so this past year I didn't pay much attention. It felt like the same old stuff, different year.
35. Who did you miss?
Hands down, my Mommy. Having Jack has made me so much more appreciative of everything my mom did for me as a child and I wish I could have talked with her to tell her that. I also wish I could ask her the million questions I have each day, knowing that she would have the perfect answer. It's so hard not being able to share these moments with her and I hope she is watching from above and is proud. I can't imagine what she went through with me being in the hospital for over month, me being a preemie and not knowing if I would make it. Only the strongest people can go through that, and she really was. I will miss her forever!
36. Who was the best new person you met?
While I didn't meet anyone new, I did get lots closer to my friends Pam and Melissa. Our play dates have kept me sane and I truly enjoy sharing Mommyhood with them. I'm looking forward to many more in the years to come!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
When all else fails, your family is always there for you, no matter what!
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are gray. You'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment