Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowpocalypse 2011

The view looking into the neighbor's yard

Our driveway after Joe had cleaned it.  Notice the pile of snow near the garbage cans, it is higher than they are!

Our front lawn


It's hard to tell, but this snow pack was up against our back deck slider, it is up to my waist!

You can't see the porch anymore!

The view of the pile from the porch

Joe tackling the 2 feet of snow that was left in our driveway after the plow went by!
This January we have set records for the amount of snowfall we have had.  I have never seen this much snow in my entire life!  It is becoming dangerous because the piles of snow at the end of streets are so high you can't see the other cars that are coming.  The other problem in our neighborhood is that there is really only room enough for one car at a time to go up or down the hill.  We have been averaging at least a snowstorm a week, if not two since the new year began.  This has been great for me, because that means that I have had "snow breaks" in the middle of the week, so I haven't had to work a full work week since the new year!  As our baby gets closer to his arrival, it gets harder and harder for me to move around without getting super exhausted.  While I'm cheering for the snow to keep on coming, most of my colleagues are hoping for all of this to stop, mainly because we are quickly adding on the days we have to work in June when it is 100 degrees inside our building!  Luckily for me, this year I'm not the one who will be there to make up those days!  I will be sitting on my couch in the air conditioning taking care of my little man!  I'm not planning on seeing our front lawn again until at least April!


Joe with our borrowed roof rake!
 These storms have also taken their toll on roofs on businesses and houses around the state.  The weight of the snow and sleet we have been having has now been damaging especially to those that have flat roofs.  Today in our town, Main Street had to be shut down because a 3 story building collapsed due to the weight of the snow and sleet/freezing rain we got today.  There were people inside, but they got out before the 3rd story came tumbling down.   Thankfully, we were able to borrow a roof rake, (I know, I never heard of such a thing until this year either, but they are sold out everywhere!) from our neighbor and scrape some of the snow off in between storms. 

I'm not sure when this snow is supposed to let up, there are already 2 more storms in the 7 day forecast.  Hopefully when it is time to go to the hospital to have the baby, we won't be in the middle of one!

No comments: